Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Steamed!!!!!

I just finished a book by a well known, and usually very entertaining, author. I won't say which one in case someone else is reading it...BUT.....I'm just steamed. The bad guys totally win and are extremely smug in the end. What is up with that? I read for total relaxation and entertainment. There are the occasional non-fiction, self-help, autobiographies, but for the most part I love to read and be totally taken away with a book. I can even handle it when the bad guys are reeeeally bad because I know that they will get it back in the end. Not with this book. The good guys were really hurtin at the end and the bad guys were triumphant. I don't want reality when I read. I want to know that good will always trump evil. The authors I read always have great endings or I don't read them. That's why I have authors I read and those that I don't. This guy has always had great, happy endings. Not this time. In reading his little blurb at the end of the book he was making a political statement. PLEEEEEEZE! I just want to live in a world where everything is made right at the end. Good always wins, bad always loses. I can with books, but this one as totally disillusioned me. Reality has entered into my fantasy. I need to read some Agatha Christie.

1 comment:

Cari said...

I think political statements make authors feel more "literary." Doesn't do much for the people who just want a good read, though. That's what happens when authors get too well known. I could do a whole post about this, actually. After a little while, when authors start to get hugely famous, they have to prove themselves, I guess. They already have their billions of dollars, so who cares if they alienate their audience?