Wednesday, April 9, 2008

For the love of words..

Ok, enough dilly-dallying. I read, I promise, although the mystery/adventure/thriller gene that seems to run in the family has escaped me. I'm addicted to memoirs and fiction that could have been true if you stretched your imagination. I carry on love affairs with the main characters and often get so lost in their lives I forget about mine. My bookshelves are full of past affairs, lovers that I can't bear to part with, that each hold a part of me.. my hand, my arm, my toe.

My most recent 'affair' was with the memers of a fully disfunctional family in The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. This is the story of her life, growing up with a brother and 2 sisters and parents who were self proclaimed 'wanderers.' The father is a drunk who spends all their money on booze and unsuccessful get-rich-quick schemes. They live poorly, without electricity or running water in the Apalachans. When the kids are around 15 they decide to leave their parents and move to New York. Choosing to be homeless, the parents follow.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. I read it in a day. It was amazing.

2 comments:

Cari said...

That book sounds pretty interesting... I like memoir too, provided it's not too self-indulgent, a la A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. If you like memoir, you should try Another Bullshit Night in Suck City. It's REALLY good.

Grahamcracker said...

Oooh, that last book sounds great...I could use a little self indulgence..