Thursday, April 3, 2008

Cari's Introduction

This is my introduction to the blog... it feels a little self-indulgent, but isn't that what reading is?
All I know is books make me happy. I love walking into a bookstore. I feel like I could spend hours in there, walk out spending way to much money and yet feel okay about it. I love the smell of books, the covers of books, the way page 1 looks so far away from page 456, and yet somehow you get there in a millisecond. I love talking about books! Which is why Shana and I decided to start a book blog. Hardly pioneering, I know, but yet still, everyone needs a forum.

Oh, and to kick this off: Right now I'm reading: ('scuse the double colon: it's gramatically correct but awkward looking. I just realized I made it a TRIPLE colon. It might be the first one EVER.)

Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
Atonement (Ian McEwan)
Thinner (Stephen King, but actually been working on this one for five months or so)
The Shipping News (Annie Proulx)

Of course I have LOTS to say about all these books, but this is just an intro!! More later, I'm sure!!


P.S. Anyone is welcome to join this blog! Just contact me or Shana!!

6 comments:

Grahamcracker said...

Oooh! I wanna! I read lots

Callie said...

Ha! I was just thinking about reading Wuthering Heights again. It is delusional fantasy, of course, since I get about four chapters into worthwhile reading these days and drop it for a romance novel or some such, but hey...at least the thought crossed my mind. I recall dreary depression followed by a more uplifting second half...?

Callie said...

Hey, has anyone read People of the Book yet? I'm intrigued.

Gina said...

Where do I sign up? I have a stack I am working through. Currently reading Blue Heaven. Gina

Cari said...

Callie--
I've never heard of People of the Book. What is it? Sounds interesting!! I think I'm going to do a whole post about WH-- it's definitely worth of discussion!!

Callie said...

People of the Book, first of all, has a fantastic cover. It's black with a butterfly wing or something. You recall I am kind of a bug person. The BACK cover is pretty interesting, too (you know...the teaser). It's about a book that has a lot of history behind it to begin with, but then a scientist person or something (you like the specificity of my vocabulary?) finds a whole bunch of bits and pieces of stuff...a bug wing, a hair, etc...in the binding and the book traces the history of the people who owned the bood. Or something like that. I don't think I'm doing it justice and besides read the cover a long time ago at this point.