Monday, June 16, 2008

"Stolen Innocence"

I finished reading "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall. I think I might have wrote a little about it but now that I am finished I'll add a bit more. To repeat, probably, she was a fundamentalist LDS who was forced to marry at age 14. She eventually left the group and filed rape charges against the leader, Warren Jeffs, for putting her in this marriage at 14. That is a really over simplified summary. It was a really good book and very detail oriented. This group is the same one that moved to Texas a few years later and became the group in the news a few months ago when they took all the children away. It felt a little "whiny" to me towards the end of her time in this group. She really wasn't very nice to her husband who she repeatedly said was not very nice to her, abusive, mean, etc. She totally proved her case to me as well as the jury that found W.J. guilty, but I guess what it was was that she didn't make me feel was real sorry for her. I read years ago a book called the "Burning Bed" about an abused wife with kids who eventually poured gasoline on her sleeping husband's bed and lit a match. Now she made me cry for her. She was soooo beaten down. But I just didn't have the same feeling for Elissa. anyway..gooooooood book and fast read. I'm almost done with The Other Boleyn Girl and will start the Boleyn Inheritance next. See ya! p.s....I just have to say that I'm so grateful for a mother who read all the time. My 2 sisters and I read all the time and now our daughters (Cari, Marila, and Linda) read all the time! Thanks Mom!

No comments: