Monday, June 2, 2008

Rave Reviews?

Children's books aren't the only thing I read these days, but the book I'm reading right now is quite long (850 pages to be exact) and it's not as captivating as I had thought it would be. I have found that when I am not totally into a book it takes me quite a while to finish it since I'm not rushing to find a quiet minute or two throughout the day to sneak in reading time. With this book (Outlander by Diana Gabaldon) it's just been a few chapters or so a night before I fall asleep. The problem is that I'm cursed with the need to finish a book once I've started it! I'm not saying that this is a book I wouldn't want to finish, because I do- but at the same time it's taking me a while to get through with it so I can start something else. Does anyone else have this problem, or do you just put the book down and never look back? Sometimes I'm not sure if a book is disappointing because I was expecting so much more... I have heard so many good things about this book and the whole series, so maybe I was expecting too much. That happened when I read Life of Pi. Everyone I had talked to raved about the book, but I didn't think it was all that spectacular. I enjoyed it and there are interesting things about the story and the structure of the book, but it was another book I had to plod my way through! Anyway, I'll let you know what I think about Outlander after I've actually finished the book, which will hopefully be soon!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Shana I am the same way. Sometimes though I cheat and then read the ending and call it good.

Martine Irene said...

A few chapters a night...how about a few pages b/4 you fall asleep!!! I used to be able to read until 2:00 in the morning and not have a problem. The book can even be good and I still fall asleep!!! But I know what you mean...I have the same problem and have to finish the book even tho' it's not that good and a total waste of time. You must have got that 'wonderful' trait from your momma!!!