Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Not Even My Name

OK - This is my first post EVER. I read this great story about the Greek, Armenian & Asyrian Genocide in Turkey. It's non-fiction (unless you ask someone from Turkey). The author Theo Halo tells the story of her mother's excile from Turkey. She opens with their visit to Turkey to see if they can find her home, and from there goes back in time to recount the excile and her life up to the trip. There are some really sad things, but overall the ending is happy. I LIKE HAPPY ENDINGS. The thing I found most interesting is that during my days in the Senate I recall the issue of the genocide being hotly debated because one of the UC's wanted to accept some money from Turkey. The string attached was that we would denounce that there ever was a genocide. We had a Greek Senator who led the oposition and it was a big deal. The book references that incident. Not in great detail though. I remember when it was taking place wondering what were they really talking about? Who were those people they were referring to as being exciled or killed? Now I know! Aaron says that you can still be shot in Turkey for claiming that it happened.

No comments: